The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Canada for cooperation in the field of Science & Technology. The MoU will provide a mechanism and help to foster scientific cooperation between R&D and academic institutions of India and Canada.
· An innovative model of R&D cooperation between India and Canada will be implemented under a MoU concluded by the Department of Science and Technology with the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada.
· Under this MoU, the India-Canada Centre for Innovative Multidisciplinary Partnership to Accelerate Community Transformation and Sustainability (IC-IMPACTS) programme will be supported to promote India-Canada multidisciplinary research partnerships.
· The R&D projects will be aimed at accelerating social transformation by providing solutions through application of science and technology.
· The participants will include researchers from scientific organizations, academia and R&D laboratories from India and Canada.
· Identified areas of mutual cooperation include safe and sustainable infrastructure and integrated water management.
· This will help to develop institutional networking and support the establishment of connections between scientific organizations, scientists and specialists of India and Canada.
The MoU was concluded in pursuance to the inter-governmental Agreement for Scientific and Technological Cooperation between the India and Canada concluded in November 2005.
Courtesy – Press Information Bureau, Government of India