Setting up of a new AIIMS in Deoghar, Jharkhand
No: --- Dated: May, 16 2018
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved setting up of a new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Deoghar, Jharkhand. A provision of funds worth Rs. 1103 crore has been approved for the project and the said AIIMS will be set up under the Pradhan MantriSwasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
The AIIMS at Deoghar will consist of:
- A hospital with a capacity of 750 beds, trauma center facilities
- A medical college with an in-take of 100 MBBS students per year
- A nursing college with an int-ake of 60 B.Sc.(Nursing) students per year, residential complexes and allied facilities / services, broadly on the pattern of AIIMS, New Delhi.
- 20 Speciality/Super Speciality Departments including 15 Operation Theatres.
- An Ayush Department with 30 beds for providing treatment facilities in the traditional system of medicine.
The setting up of new AIIMS at Deoghar will serve the dual purpose of providing super speciality health care to the population while also helping to create a large pool of doctors and other health workers in this region to be available for primary and secondary-level institutions/facilities being created under the National Health Mission (NHM).
Under the PMSSY, AIIMS have been established in Bhubaneswar, Bhopal, Raipur, Jodhpur, Rishikesh and Patna. Work of AIIMS Rae Bareli (U.P.), Nagpur (Maharashtra), Kalyani (West Bengal) and Mangalagiri in Guntur (A.P.) is in progress. Construction work has also been awarded for AIIMS, Gorakhpur (U.P.).
Further, following AIIMS have also been sanctioned:
- Bathinda, Punjab in July 2016
- Guwahati (Assam), May 2017
- Bilaspur (Himachal Pradesh) in January 2018
Courtesy – Press Information Bureau, Government of India